A brief history
The roots of FABB go to spring 2005 when about 10 bicycling enthusiasts got together to talk about ways to advance cycling in Fairfax County. The group met during 2005 and eventually decided to affiliate with the Washington Area Bicyclist Association. Since 2006 we've contacted bicyclists at various bicycle events, handing out copies of the FABB brochure, and signing up bicyclists (over 1300) for our bi-monthly newsletters.
We've provided bike valet parking at the Asian Festival, the Reston Festival and Celebrate Fairfax. We worked with Fairfax County to help produce the Fairfax County Bicycle Route Map. The FABB "Board" meets every month on the third Wednesday evening to advocate for better bicycling conditions in Fairfax. We encourage all Fairfax bicyclists to join WABA.
- Bruce Wright, Chairman—Bruce has been a daily bike commuter since moving to Reston in 1979. He helped form Fairfax Advocates for Better Bicycling in 2005 and is the current chairman. Currently serves on the WABA board. Contact: chairman(at)fabb-bikes.org
- Fionnuala Quinn, Vice Chair—Fionnuala is a long-time bicyclist who likes to leave her mini-van at home and use her bike to do some of her daily trips around the suburbs. However, she has found there are a lot of barriers to her travel plans so she is applying her engineering background to bring some improvements to her trips in the community.
- Hunter McCleary, Treasurer—Former WABA board member who frequently commutes by bike from Vienna, VA to Bethesda, MD.
- Kerie Hitt, Secretary—For many years Kerie commuted by bike to her job at USGS in Reston. Along with Bruce, she helped organize Reston's Bike to Work Day event from 2002 to 2011. She tries to use her bike for transportation whenever possible and also enjoys bicycle vacations.
- Jeff Palmer—Bike commuter, store manager at Spokes, Etc. Vienna location.
- Dennis Frew—Bicycling advocate from McLean. Washington Area Bicyclist Association, WABA, representative on the Fairfax County Trails and Sidewalks Committee
- Rob Henenlotter—Former bike commuter in San Francisco, Boston and Providence. Currently mountain and road bike enthusiast.
- Ian MacDonald—Frequent bike commuter, cycling advocate, and member of the Town of Herndon Pedestrian and Bicycle Advisory Committee (PBAC)
- Mike Olson—Frequent bike commuter.
- Douglas Stewart—Douglas is a bicycle advocate in Fairfax City. He is a co-founder of FABB and was president of the board of the Washington Area Bicyclist Association in 2007 - 2009
- Tom Wyland—Tom advocates for bicycle commuting and transportation cycling from the Herndon area.
- Alan Young—Bicycling advocate from Burke, blogger, representative on the Fairfax County Trails and Sidewalks Committee.
FABB Volunteer Sign up form
FABB Volunteer hours